>Satan is the great enemy of the Christian and he is "so full of malice and envy that he will leave no means unattempted, whereby he may make all others eternally miserable with himself. [He] "makes use of all his power and skill to bring all the sons of men into the same condition and condemnation with himself."
His desire is our destruction and he will do whatever is necessary to bring it about.
Satan loves to sail with the wind, and to suit men’s temptations to their conditions and inclinations. If they be in prosperity, he will tempt them to deny God (Proverbs 30:9); if they be in adversity, he will tempt them to distrust God;
if their knowledge be weak, he will tempt them to have low thoughts of God;
if their conscience be tender, he will tempt to scrupulosity;
if large, to carnal security; if bold-spirited, he will tempt to presumption;
if timorous, to desperation;
if flexible, to inconstancy;
if stiff, to impenitency.
"And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death."
1 Revelation 12:11
Characteristics of Satan
Satan is a created being. He is the adversary of God and all who call on the name of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Satan is a counterfeit, can deliver on none of the promises he makes, and is a master of deceit. Satan has no creativity of his own, so he uses the creative minds of God's other creatures - people. He has been defeated by the Cross. In the end he will be "thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever." Revelation 20:10
1. Created by God, and not equal to God. (Prov 16:4)
2. Defies God and despises truth. (John 8:44)
3. Was given limited power. (Job 1:8-12)
4. Commands a hierarchy of demons. (Eph. 6:10-12)
5. Masquerades as "an angel of light." (2 Cor. 11:14-15)
6. Came to steal, kill and destroy. (John 10:10)
7. Lost access to faithful, redeemed Christians. (John 10:2-15, Gal. 2:20, 1 John 4:4)
8. Rules the masses outside God’s protection. (Eph. 2:1-3)
9. Tries to hide the actual truth about our God. (2 Cor. 4:3-4)
10. Twists Scriptures to fit his purposes. (Gen. 3:1-5)
11. Offers counterfeit promises he can't fulfill. (Gen. 3:4-5)
12. Always seeks an "opportune time" to tempt us. (Luke 4:13)
“Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary, the devil, walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.”
1 Peter 5:8
“...do not sin: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place [lest you give a foothold] to the devil."
"Therefore submit to God.' Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands [REPENT], you sinners; and purify your hearts.... Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up."